Tuesday, August 2, 2011

10 Questions and Answers About Blood Borne Infections And Vaccination....Extracted From Dental Secrets SE By Stephen T.Sonis, D.M.D., D.M.Sc.

01. What are universal precautions?
Universal precautions a concept of infection control, assume that any patient is potentially infectious for  a number of bloodborne pathogens. Blood, blood-derived products, and certain other fluids that are contaminated with blood  are considered infectious for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B  virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), and other bloodborne pathogens. Standard precautions are procedure-specific, not patient-specific. In dentistry, saliva is normally considered to be blood-contaminated.

02. What is the chain of infection?
The chain of infection refers to the prerequisites for infection (by either direct or indirect contact):
1. A susceptible host
2. A pathogen with sufficient infectivity and numbers to cause infection
3. An appropriate portal of entry to the host (e.g., a bloodborne agent must gain access to the bloodstream, whereas an enteric agent must enter the mouth [tract]).

03. Which factor is easiest to control: agent, host, or transmission?
Agent and host are more difficult to control than transmission. Standard precautions are directed toward interrupting the transfer of microorganisms from patient to health care worker and vice versa.

04. What is one of the single most important measures to reduce the risk of transmission of microorganisms?
Hand washing is one of the most important measures in reducing the risk of transmission of microorganisms. Hands should always be thoroughly washed between patients, after contact with blood or other potentially infective fluids, after contact with contaminated instruments or items, and after removal of gloves. Gloves  also  play  an  important  role  as  a  protective  barrier  against  cross-contamination and reduce the likelihood of transferring microorganisms from health care workers to patients and from environmental surfaces to patients. A cardinal rule for safety is never to touch a surface with contaminated gloves that will subsequently be touched with ungloved hands.

05. What are standard procedures?
Standard procedures are designed to reduce the risk of transmission of microorganisms from both recognized and unrecognized sources of infection in hospitals. They are a combination of universal precautions and body substance isolation precautions and apply to blood, all bodily fluids (whether or not they contain blood), non intact skin, and mucous membranes.

05. Is exposure synonymous with infection?
No. An exposure is a contact that has a reasonable potential to complete the chain of infection and result in disease of the host.

06. What are hepatitis B and delta hepatitis?
Hepatitis B is one of most common reportable diseases in the United States. HBV is transmitted through blood and sexual fluids: it is highly transmissible because of the large numbers of virus in the blood of infected persons (about 100 million per ml). Delta hepatitis is caused by a defective virus (hepatitis D virus [that relies on HBV for its pathogenicity and can infect only in the presence of HBV. HBV and HDV co-infection, however, results in a fulminant course of liver disease.

07. Why is hepatitis B vaccination so important?
HBV is the major infectious occupational hazard to health care workers. Transmission has been documented from providers to patients and vice versa. In 1982, a vaccine became available to provide protection from HBV infection. The first-generation vaccine was plasma-derived, but the vaccine in current use is genetically engineered. The safety and efficacy of the vaccine are well established, and there is no current recommendation for booster doses. Furthermore, protection from I-JBV also confers protection from HDV.

08. If you are employed in a dental practice, who pays for the HBV vaccine—you or your employer?
If an employee may be exposed to blood or other potentially infectious fluids during the course of work, it is the obligation of the employer to offer and pay for the series of vaccinations. The employer is not required to pay titer test costs because this test is not recommended by the United States Public Health Service (USPHS), the agency on which OSHA relies for advice.

09. What if I refuse the vaccination?
In most states, you have a right to refuse the vaccination. You should realize, however, that without the HBV vaccination series or evidence of previous infection you remain at risk for acquiring HBV infection. Because OSHA considers the HBV vaccination one of the most important protections that a health care worker can have, the agency requires the employee to sign a waiver if the vaccination is refused. Signing the waiver does not mean that, if you change your mind in the future, the employer does not have to pay.

10. What is the risk of HIV transmission associated with percutaneous mucous membrane exposures to blood known to be HIV-positive?
The risk is about 0.3% (1/300) for percutaneous and about 0.09% (1/900) for mucous membrane exposures. Many factors, however, influence the likelihood of transmission. Accumulated data from studies involving health care worker exposures suggest a 0.2—0.4% risk of HIV infection with the worst case scenario of a severe percutaneous injury involving exposure to blood from a terminal HIV patient.

5 comments:

  1. Orthodontic Instruments

    https://ar-instrumed.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Very Nice Blog I Have Read Your Post It Is Very Informative And Useful Thanks For Posting And Sharing With Us And Your Writting Style Is Very Nice

    Orthodontic Instruments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello viewers I am glad to have met with the powerful herbal healer called
      Dr voodoo who use his herbs to cure my HIV disease I suffered from 15years,
      but now I am a happy woman and i am free from this sickness that has been
      problem to my living, after using Dr voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i
      was diagnose negative, I will recommend Dr voodoo to everyone reading this
      article because this herbal healer is capable to heal anything, the
      scientist said has no cure, Email him : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or
      add Dr voodoo on whatsApp: +2348140120719

      Delete
  3. I'm short of words to express the goodness of God in my life. I was diagnosed of herpes simplex virus 4 years ago. Which was the worst time in my life,cos of my career and i'm just 28th. I became worried,distress,felt so rejected,dirty and pity. I started keeping in touch with many hospitals,tried many solutions,and consulted many medical practitioners to get ride of my HSV virus,none of the ativiral treatment could cure me .I started trying fruits and herbs, and with time became very interested in herbs for solutions,to get ride of my HSV. I thought my life was gonna end there, i became worried and couldn't sleep at night. That faithful Sunday morning, friend of mine crystal who visited me home came up with a good news with her HIV/ AIDS test result negative. I was shocked,but so happy to have seen that. I wouldn't believe if I haven't seen the result and that would have being my worst mistake in life. She told me it was the work of an herbalist in Africa,Dr.Abang. who prepared the HIV/AIDS cured and sent it to her husband through the DHL. I became very interest and went online to search for natural ways for my cure then I saw a testimony of a lady comments on how she was cured from cancer by the same herbalist, then,I quickly email him@
    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com.its med.are very active with immune booster with no site effect.contact him for the solution to all your sickness. He cures all viruses and diseases
    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com
    Is a God sent in my life....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Amelia, I want to use this medium to thank Dr. Iyabiye, for saving me from CHRONIC HEPATITIS B.  I surffered this ailment for 3 years, then this fateful day browsing through the internet to see if I could get help, I saw his contact and testimonies of others he has cured. I contacted him for help, and afterwards he administered his medication on me, I was confirmed cured and hepatitis free at the hospital after the treatment. You too can be cured like me if interested, reach him through his contacts: (+2348072229413 or +2348158577300) email: (iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Share

+1 this blog

you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...